What We Do
Coffee during the Isle of Wight Extravaganza
The VCJ Christmas Party at the Jam Factory
The core of the club's activities are the weekly recreational group rides for a mix of abilities. We normally don't have a coffee stop on rides, but will have a quick breaks for food and then a coffee when we get back to Oxford. A quick summary of what we do:
4 to 6 groups of riders of a wide range of abilities
Routes from 35 miles to 70 miles.
- Two groups (a relaxed social ride and a faster ride)
- Routes from 30 miles to 60 miles.
- Faster group on Wednesday 9am
- Social group on Thursday 9am
- Routes from 50 miles to 70 miles.
- Evening rides
- When the light is good, normally April-September
- Two groups (social and faster)
- Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 5.30pm-6.30pm start
- Many members will go to the pub after.
Other Local Cycling
As a vibrant and active cycling club, many of our members organise and participate in other cycling activities:
Annual trips to circumnavigate the Isle of Wight
Trips to the velodrome
Hill climb events
If you are looking for a group of like-minded cyclists to go further afield, whether for recreation, training, or events, you will find a group within our club. We have groups of members who:
Recreational cycling holidays overseas
Training weeks/long weekends in the Alps, Girona, Mallorca, etc.
Major overseas events like the Etape
Aside from the coffee shop/pub socialising that happens after every recreational ride, we have some social events throughout the year:
Post-AGM social (drinks in an Oxford pub/bar)
Summer social (normally a treasure hunt ride followed by BBQ/pizza/drinks)
Christmas social (see photo to get an idea!)